Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pass the Mustard


There are some people in this world gifted with a true blessing. The gift of listening! When someone goes to them about a problem- they actually LISTEN. Well.... let's just say I am not part of this "some". Infact I am probably the worst listener- Come to me if you want my 20 cents because heck if I just stop at 2. I will tell you what I think, what you should think, and probably what the guy sitting two tables down from us is thinking.

This being said- I am really trying to work on my listening skills. It's been quite the challenge but give my some mustard and talk away.

Who would have ever thought mustard would be the one thing that kept my mouth shut?!? Well yes the magic sauce has been mustard!


My little cousin has many great qualities but one of her best is listening. If I am upset, pissed off, or want to run away she is one of my first calls.. well actually second call.  I always recruit one of the besties to run away with me or to be ready to back me up when I forget I am only 5 feet tall and don't punch very hard! But back to the little cousin. Why do I call her? Because she listens. She listens to me so well I often have to say- Hey are you there??!?!?! Anyhow this has always been a quality I LOVE about her. BUT it is not a quality WE share. When she calls me- I am quite the opposite. I listen for 2 minutes and the rest of the conversation is ME telling her what to do, how to feel, and how to act. Gosh- come to think about this- I really suck at listening.

Well this all changed one evening at Wendy's. Her and I had met for dinner. The conversation started off as the usual-what we found on pinterest, what we had for lunch, and when would be a good time to raid each other's closet. After little discussion she then asked me-Hey are you ready to practice those listening skills?! To my reply- Yes! I mean really how hard could this be?? Well let's just be honest a lot harder for a girl named Shirelle. She started talking and YUP... 2 minutes later I started talking!! Well let's just say- I was not talking for long before the dang mustard was not sitting in front of me!

SHIRELLE!!!- You are only allowed to talk when the mustard is NOT in front of you- if the mustard is in front of me just sit there... shut up... and listen! Holy Moly who knew MUSTARD could hold sooo much power!! But I will tell you one thing- I listened alright and that mustard stayed in front of her MOST of the night- (I mean come on there were a few times I had to grab the mustard just to express bad words!) But for once in a very long time- I actually listened to someone who needed an ear.

When people express their issues to us 95% of the time they want to vent. They are calling you to listen not to hear about what YOU would do, how it relates to YOU, or YOUR own daily issues. I can only speak for myself on this- because hell I think I have done enough speaking and thinking for everyone... but I want to be a better listener! And if that means I have to carry a bottle of mustard in my purse to remind me to shut my mouth- hell feel free to bring a hamburger with the issue!

So in the end! The next time someone comes to you with their bad day- JUST LISTEN... and if can't do that... you better start passing the mustard~!

<3,

Shirelle














No comments:

Post a Comment